Washington and Lee Announces November Community Grants The committee chose the grants from 20 proposals requesting almost $85,000.
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 16 grants totaling $28,190 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2019-20.
The committee chose the grants from 20 proposals requesting almost $85,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- American Red Cross of the Roanoke and New River Valleys Virginia – To provide disaster relief to local families
- AmeriCorps VISTA Program – Funding for programs such as Campus Kitchens, Shepherd Poverty Program, and Experiential Learning
- Blue Ridge CASA for Children – Funds to help train counselors and service providers
- Boxerwood Education Association – CORE – Rockbridge program (Carbon Offset and Reduction Exchange)
- Buena Vista Arts Council – Support summer arts programs and scholarship expenses
- Buena Vista City Public Schools – Funding to assist the Backpack Program
- Buena Vista Rescue Squad, Inc. – Emergency equipment purchase
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center – Scholarship aid for needy riders
- Lex Lax Wildcat Booster Club – Equipment purchase and player development material
- Mission Next Door – Home maintenance and repair
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc. – Purchasing food for needy residents
- PMHS Lady Blues Soccer – Funding for uniforms and equipment
- RCHS Boys’ Baseball Team – Funding for uniforms and equipment
- Rockbridge Historical Society – Funds to support the Rockbridge History Bee budget
- Rockbridge Regional Drug Task Force – Funding to assist with the purchase of a pair of night vision binoculars
- Community Foundation of Rockbridge, Bath, and Alleghany Counties – StuFund program
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2018-19 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $60,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2019-20 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 6, 2020. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.