W&L Announces November Community Grants The Community Grants Committee has made 16 grants totaling $30,036 to local area non-profit organizations.
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 16 grants totaling $30,036 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first of the university’s two rounds of grants for 2018-19. The committee chose the grants from 24 proposals requesting over $115,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- American Red Cross of the Roanoke and New River Valleys Virginia, to provide immediate disaster relief to families following home fires in Lexington, Buena Vista and Rockbridge County
- AmeriCorps VISTA Program, to provide funding for programs such as Campus Kitchens, Shepherd Poverty Program and Experiential Learning
- Boxerwood Education Association, for general operational support for Project NEST
- Bridge to Hope Food Pantry, for procurement, storage and distribution of food to clients
- The Community Closet at Christ Episcopal Church, for acquisition of essential clothing, supplies and operational expenses to support the mission
- The Community Table of Buena Vista, Inc. , to purchase food and for essential operational expenses
- Rockbridge Area Habitat for Humanity, for a new computer and software for financial program classes
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center, to purchase tack items for therapy horses
- Mission Next Door, to fund local projects and cash reserves
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc., for food purchase and essential operational expenses
- PMHS Boys’ Varsity Soccer, for uniforms and equipment
- RACS: Rockbridge Area Prevention Coalition, to support a student summit intended to reduce underage drinking and other substance abuse
- RCHS Parent Teacher Student Association, to provide hands-on learning tools for high school students
- John’s United Methodist Church, for its Mission Committee Annual Blanket Giveaway
- Valley Program for Aging Services, to assist with the construction of an accessible ramp and garden space for the Maury River Senior Center in Buena Vista
- Rockbridge Area YMCA, for after-school and enrichment programs
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2017-18 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2018-19 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 1, 2019. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.