W&L Announces Spring 2018 Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 9 grants totaling $19,093 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the second part of its two rounds of grants for 2017-18. The committee chose the grants from 16 proposals requesting almost $97,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- City of Buena Vista Parks and Recreation Department – Equipment to document Buena Vista storytelling and history project
- Gospel Way Church of God in Christ – Combating hunger; allied with Feeding America Program
- Rockbridge Area Hospice – Clinical training for staff on the effects of past trauma on end-of-life process
- Lime Kiln Arts, Inc. – Improve ADA accessible restrooms for Lime Kiln
- NDPonics – NDPonics Community Recreation Area Initiative
- Rockbridge Area Transportation System, Inc. – Assist with new vehicle purchase
- Rockbridge Regional Drug Task Force – Purchase of an iPad and camera lens
- Samuel’s Supper – Supporting families who have a child facing life-threatening medical crisis
- Shenandoah Preschool – New shelving units and three iPads
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2017-18 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the two rounds of evaluations for 2018-19 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 2, 2018, and Friday, March 1, 2019. Please make note of the March deadline. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.