Most Accurate Student Mock Convention Predicts Clinton as Democratic Nominee
After two days of political events at Washington and Lee University, the 2008 Mock Convention selected Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton as the Democratic presidential nominee. The prediction marks the 100th anniversary of the most accurate student-run mock convention in the nation.
Students at W&L, a historic liberal arts college, have picked the correct presidential nominee for the party out of power every time but once since 1948, and have a perfect record since 1972. Since its inception in 1908, the overall record stands at 18 correct predictions out of 23.
More than 90 percent of the student body is involved in running the convention. They spend over two years planning, researching and organizing the quadrennial event, which has consistently featured prominent political figures and received national media attention.
This year, the convention featured the following distinguished speakers:
- Rev. Jesse L. Jackson
- Democratic Leadership Council Chairman Harold Ford Jr.
- Sen. Carol Moseley Braun
- Rep. Geraldine Ferraro
- Virginia Governor Tim M. Kaine
- Sen. Jim Webb
- Rep. Charlie Wilson
- Former Georgia U.S. Sen. Max Cleland
- Richmond (Va.) Mayor L. Douglas Wilder
- West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin
- Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden
- Texas State Rep. Patrick M. Rose
The convention began with a parade through historic Lexington and concluded with a full roll call of state “delegations.”
PHOTOGRAPHS can be downloaded from http://newsoffice.wlu.edu/mockcon/
Please give photo credit to Washington and Lee University.
- Session One
- Session Two
- Session Three
- The Washington Post: “Democratic Nominee ‘Picked’ at Va. College”
- FoxNews.com: “Clinton Chosen as Nominee in Country’s Most Accurate Mock Convention”
- The Denver Post: “School’s mock convention predicts Clinton win”
- Politico.com: “Rarely wrong mock convention picks Clinton”
- The Washington Times: “Obama or Clinton?”
- Richmond Times-Dispatch: “Mock convention a longtime crystal ball”
For further information on Mock Convention please visit www.mockconvention.org.
Student contacts: Y. Eugina Huang (770) 630-6136 and Mike Fahey (781) 500-9398
W&L News Director: Sarah Tschiggfrie (540) 480-4888 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org