A simple jar in the Reeves Collection tells the story of an African-American craftsman in Antebellum America.
Featured News, Views and More from Around W&L
Washington and Lee University has already exceeded carbon-reduction goals for 2013 and 2020. The latest updates keep the university on track to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
A video introduction to some of W&L's newest Generals
Jack Huffard '90 talks about the actionable insights he has gained from the Entrepreneurship Summit (Sept. 27-28) and the skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur.
This year’s orientation for Residential Advisors and Community Assistants included a mock fire designed to show students how to quickly and safely escape a burning building.
Seen and Heard
"Regardless of whether these students attend Washington and Lee, we can help plant the seed that may lead to them attending college somewhere else—and that is still a win."~Nathan Shearer, W&L Head Wrestling Coach
In Case You Missed It
1. Staniar Gallery Presents New Orleans-Based Artist’s WorkThe works will be on display through Nov.1, with an artist’s talk and reception on Oct.16 at 5:30 p.m.
2. W&L Professors Collaborate on New BookChris Gavaler and Nathaniel Goldberg published “Superhero Thought Experiments.”
3. W&L Law’s Mark Drumbl Deepens Understanding of Child Soldiers in New BookThe Research Handbook on Child Soldiers brings to bear a unique array of perspectives to unpack the life-cycle of youth and militarization—from recruitment, to demobilization, and return to civilian life.
4. W&L’s Elisabeth Gilbert Earns Prestigious ScholarshipAs a recipient of this award, Gilbert was recognized at the 2019 SIOP Annual Conference at the National Harbor in Fort Washington, Maryland, in April.
5. Campus Kitchen at W&L Receives Donation from Food Lion Feeds Charitable FoundationThe Campus Kitchen at Washington and Lee has received $1,725 from the Food Lion Feeds Charitable Foundation.
Chris Gavaler and Nathaniel Goldberg published “Superhero Thought Experiments.”
Bovay is one of approximately 200 board-certified tax lawyers in Florida.
As a recipient of this award, Gilbert was recognized at the 2019 SIOP Annual Conference at the National Harbor in Fort Washington, Maryland, in April.
The Campus Kitchen at Washington and Lee has received $1,725 from the Food Lion Feeds Charitable Foundation.
Seen & Heard
In the discussion, Morel explains the history behind the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
Horowitz’s article is titled “Sherlock Holmes Comes to Paris: True Crime and Private Detection in the Belle Époque.”
The article discusses taxation and Democratic aspirations.
The article is titled “The Changing Shapes of Latin American Welfare States."
People & Programs Distinctly Dubyuhnell
Ben Peeples '21 is enjoying a chemistry internship at Brown University while training for the World Canoeing Championships in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Brant Hellwig, Dean of Washington and Lee School of Law, has announced the appointment of law professor Sam Calhoun to the Robert O. Bentley Chair in Law.
The medical researcher travels, teaches and conducts research to eliminate neglected tropical diseases.