Washington and Lee Announces March Community Grants The Community Grants Committee has made 12 grants totaling $30,450 to local area nonprofit organizations.
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 12 grants totaling $30,450 to nonprofit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the second part of its two rounds of grants for 2018-19.
The committee chose the grants from 17 proposals requesting over $125,000. W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- AmeriCorps VISTA Program, for programs such as Campus Kitchen, the Shepherd Program and Experiential Learning
- Buena Vista City Public Schools, to support the Back to School Backpack program
- Friends of Natural Bridge State Park, to assist with computing and/or software needs
- Halestone Foundation, to purchase a new computer
- Lime Kiln Arts, Inc., to support improvement of on-site accessibility
- Meals for Shut Ins, Inc., to purchase meals
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association, to fund repairs on the RARA Food Pantry truck
- Rockbridge Area Transportation System, Inc., to assist with passenger van purchases
- Rockbridge County High School Tennis, for equipment and youth programs
- Threshold Housing Commission, for neighborhood improvement projects
- Yellow Brick Road Early Learning Center, for curriculum materials
- Rockbridge Regional Library, to support the Youth Literacy program
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the university has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making. During its 2018-19 cycle, the committee has awarded $60,000.
Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the two rounds of evaluations for 2019-20 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 1, 2019, and Friday, March 6, 2020. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.