Feature Stories Campus Events All Stories

Matt Bevin '89 Elected Governor of Kentucky

Matt Bevin ’89 of Louisville, who attended Washington and Lee with an ROTC scholarship, rose to the rank of captain in the U.S. Army and went on to careers in manufacturing, investment management and medical devices, was elected governor of Kentucky Nov. 3.

Bevin received 53 percent of the vote. Two opponents split the remaining 47 percent.

According to Louisville’s Courier-Journal newspaper, he called on members of both major political parties to work together to confront Kentucky’s challenges. In his victory speech, he asked the state’s citizens to “remember that we are one Kentucky at the end of the day, and we have much work that must be done.”

Bevin thanked every Kentuckian, including members of the opposing party, who stood for election to any post. He called running “the very thing that makes the fabric of this nation strong, when we continue to weave ourselves together with disparate ideas, different ideologies, different perspectives. This is the strength and the beauty of America.”

He called on his supporters to reach out to political opponents and encourage “representation of who we are, a seat at the table for people from every perspective of our state … . I truly think that we as a state have the ability to change the tenor of what politics looks like, what representation looks like” in Kentucky and the country.

If you know any W&L alumni who would be great profile subjects, tell us about them! Nominate them for a web profile.