There's an App for W&L
Jeff Knudson, senior technology architect in Washington and Lee’s Information Technology Services, has just built a new W&L-specific application for the iPhone and iPad, and the University’s redesigned Spring Term gets an assist.
Jeff built the app while auditing the spring term course taught by Simon Levy, associate professor of computer science, in which students learned how to create their own iPhone apps.
The application that Jeff created allows users to look up directory information and also to see current news and calendar information. Here is the full description of the app:
- Find People directory search: Provides the ability to do online searches for W&L faculty, staff and students in the online web directory.
- Employees by Name: Provides the ability to look up details on W&L faculty and staff, sorted by name.
- Employees by Department: Provides the ability to look up details on W&L faculty and staff, sorted by department.
- Emergency Numbers: Provides the current emergency contact numbers.
- Quick Reference Numbers: Provides departmental contact numbers.
- University News: Provides access to the University home page’s news RSS feed and the ability to browse the news stories.
- University Events: Provides access to the University home page’s campus events RSS feed and the ability to browse the event details.
- Provides access only to the search, news and events if network access is available.
- Caches the employee, emergency and quick reference lists on the device for use even when network access is not available.
- Includes a rotating display of several W&L campus images on the Find People screen.
The free application is now available for downloading from the iTunes store.