Washington and Lee Announces December Community Grants After evaluating 12 proposals in October, Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee awarded seven grants totaling over $25,000 to nonprofit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County.
After evaluating 12 proposals in October, Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee awarded seven grants totaling over $25,000 to nonprofit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. These donations are the first part of W&L’s two rounds of grants for 2022-23.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Blue Ridge Legal Services, Inc. – Provide free legal assistance to low-income residents of the Rockbridge region in civil legal matters;
- Buena Vista Arts Council – One semester budget for the 2023 Afterschool Art Program;
- Friends of Rockbridge Swimming, Inc. – Pool lift and step repair and a Pool Access PVC Wheelchair;
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center – Funding to replace arena fencing;
- Mission Next Door – Funding to allow construction work to continue;
- Rockbridge Animal Alliance – Spaying/neutering of dogs; and
- The Walker Entrepreneurship Program – Project to foster greater public awareness of the growing number of Black-owned businesses.
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests from organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County for donations and support. While the university has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2021-22 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $60,000. Proposals, which may be submitted at any time, are reviewed semiannually (mid-fall and early spring). The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2022-23 is 4:30 p.m. March 20, 2023. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via email to email@example.com. Please call 540-458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: Jessica Willett, Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.