Washington and Lee Announces June Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made nine grants totaling $23,160 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the second part of its two rounds of grants for 2011-12.
The committee chose the grants from 17 proposals requesting more than $96,000.
W&L awarded grants to these entities:
- Blue Ridge Autism & Achievement Center – funds to purchase a Smart Board to optimize learning opportunities for their students.
- Boxerwood Educational Association – funds to help integrate the NEST (Nurturing Environmental Stewardship Together) program in local schools grades 1-3 during the 2012-13 school year.
- Lexington Skate Park – funds to assist with the revitalization and restoration of the city skate park.
- Rockbridge Area Free Clinic – funds to allow RAFC to partner with three area school districts to provide school-based dental services.
- Rockbridge Area Hospice – funds to make it possible for the Outreach Coordinator to attend a Hospice liaison training program.
- Rockbridge Area Occupational Center – funds to purchase lawn care equipment for RAOC’s Mobile Work Crew project.
- Rockbridge Dog Rescue and Cats Unlimited – funds to assist local elderly and/or disabled individuals with veterinary care for their dogs and cats.
- Rockbridge Area Shop for Tots – funds to assist with holiday gift giving for those who otherwise could not afford to do so.
- Youth Literacy Program – funds to purchase tutoring material; gift books; educational games, and for educational activities.
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2011-12 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually. The submission deadline for the two rounds of evaluations for 2012-13 will be: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, November 9, 2012, and Friday, May 31, 2013. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.