Washington and Lee Announces May Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 13 grants totaling $25,700 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the second part of its two rounds of grants for 2014-15.
The committee chose the grants from 28 proposals requesting almost $170,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Buena Vista Arts Council – Funds to support art projects in Buena Vista.
- Community Action Network – The Saturday’s Child program.
- The Community Table – Food purchasing project.
- Hull’s Drive-In – Sound equipment project.
- Kling Elementary School – Children’s book purchasing program.
- Miller’s House Museum Foundation – Funds for museum signage.
- Mission Next Door – Home repair and maintenance for area residents who are financially or physically unable to provide these services for themselves.
- Project Horizon – Raising Hope project.
- RCHS Music Boosters – Four bass drums and drum heads.
- Rockbridge Area Housing Corporation – Water saving project.
- Rockbridge Christmas Baskets – Food purchasing program.
- Rockbridge Regional Drug Task Force – Purchase of investigative equipment.
- Yellow Brick Road Early Learning Center – Purchase of a new telephone system.
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2014-15 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the two rounds of evaluations for 2015-16 will be: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, November 6, 2015, and Friday, April 15, 2016. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.