Washington and Lee Announces May Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 12 grants totaling $25,850 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the second part of its two rounds of grants for 2016-17. The committee chose the grants from 22 proposals requesting almost $176,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- City of Buena Vista Parks and Recreation Department – Funds to go towards an artist residency.
- Friends of Rockbridge Swimming, Inc. – Support the third phase of their energy conservation plan.
- Rockbridge Area Habitat for Humanity – To assist with the purchase of a delivery truck.
- W. Kling Elementary School STEM Program – Further develop Kling’s STEM curriculum.
- Main Street Lexington – Funds to help purchase a full-spectrum laser cutter.
- Mission Next Door – Financial assistance for the Neighbor Support Program.
- PMHS Marching Blues – Upgrade and replace equipment.
- Rockbridge Area Conservation Council – Funding for the Maury Watershed Monitors community water monitoring program.
- RCHS Lady Wildcats Basketball – Equipment upgrades.
- Rockbridge Animal Alliance and Cats Unlimited – Subsidize pet care costs.
- Rockbridge Regional Drug Task Force – Purchase of Samsung Galaxy Note Tablets.
- Rockbridge Area YMCA – Funding to support a new enrichment program for Natural Bridge Elementary School.
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2016-17 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the two rounds of evaluations for 2017-18 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 3, 2017, and Friday, March 2, 2018. Please make note of the new March deadline. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.