Washington and Lee Announces November 2016 Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 10 grants totaling $24,736.22 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2016-17.
The committee chose the grants from 16 proposals requesting over $96,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- The Community Closet at Christ Church, Buena Vista: Funds to help improve the living conditions of the needy in Rockbridge County
- The Community Table of Buena Vista, Inc.: Funds to assist TCT to purchase food
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center: Purchase bitless bridles
- Lexington Lyme Disease Support Group: To purchase educational materials regarding Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses
- Miller’s House Museum Foundation: Establish an interpretive walking trail at Jordan’s Point
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc.: Funds will be used for food purchase and operational expenses
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association: Help provide heating fuel for at-risk neighbors
- Rockbridge Area Transportation System, Inc.: Funds to assist with the purchase of a new handicap vehicle
- Rockbridge Area Youth Strings (c/o Fine Arts In Rockbridge): Funds to purchase cases for existing instruments and a ¾-size double bass
- Rockbridge Regional Library Youth Services Department: Fund the STEAM after-school program
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2015-16 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2016-17 will be: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, April 14, 2017. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.