Washington and Lee Announces November Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 11 grants totaling $25,055 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2013-14.
The committee chose the grants from 17 proposals requesting more than $88,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- American Red Cross, Central Virginia Chapter – Funding two generators: one for the American Red Cross trailer in Lexington and one for the Glasgow Community Center
- Boxerwood Education Association – Funds to assist with the integration of Project Generation NEST within the local school divisions
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry – Funding to assist with food purchases
- Rockbridge Area Habitat for Humanity – Funds to go towards the Almost Home financial education program
- Rockbridge Area Health Center – Dental care program for underserved children in the Rockbridge area
- Rockbridge Area Housing Corporation – Funding for water conservation project
- Rockbridge Area Occupational Center, Inc. – Purchase of a new safety-protected office shredder
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association – Funds to help with client utility and heat subsidization
- Rockbridge Area YMCA – Purchase of an exercise machine for seniors
- Rockbridge Regional Library, Youth Literacy – Funds to assist with the purchase of gift books and magazine subscriptions
- Virginia Horse Center Foundation – Funds towards the general operating cost of the 2014 Rockbridge Regional Fair
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2012-13 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2013-14 will be: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, May 30, 2014. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.