Washington and Lee Announces November Community Grants W&L's Community Grants Committee made eight grants totaling over $25,000 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County.
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee evaluated ten proposals in October and made eight grants totaling over $25,000 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2021-22.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Blue Ridge Legal Services, Inc. – Provide free legal assistance to low-income residents of the Rockbridge region in civil legal matters,
- The Community Closet at Christ Episcopal Church – Purchase of essential clothing, supplies, and operational expenses to support the mission,
- Concerned Citizens of Glasgow – Funds to support a community computer center,
- Friends of Natural Bridge State Park – Funds to assist in the construction of a disc golf course,
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center – Prescription medications for horses,
- Lylburn Downing Middle School – Support the funding of projects in the Art and Music Departments,
- Mission Next Door – Funding for home repair projects, and
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc. – Purchase of food and limited operational expenses.
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2020-21 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $60,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually: mid-fall and early spring. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2021-22 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 21, 2022. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: Jessica Willett, Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.