Washington and Lee Announces November Community Grants
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 15 grants totaling $25,243 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2015-16.
The committee chose the grants from 23 proposals requesting almost $81,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center: Funds to purchase material for student work space
- Buena Vista Arts Council: Funds to support the council’s involvement in the January 27, 2016, Art Works for Virginia Conference
- Coffeehouse of Rockbridge Inc.: Funds to support the continuing operations of the Coffeehouse of Rockbridge mission
- Friends of the Rockbridge Choral Society: Funds to support a one-day vocal workshop for Rockbridge Choral Society singers
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center: Rider scholarships for needy individuals
- The Lexington Woman’s Club: Seed money to establish a program to supplement the current Mobile Food Pantry’s provisions to the Goshen community with personal care products
- Maury River Middle School Agriculture: Pollination garden at Maury River Middle School
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc.: Funds will be used for food purchase and various routine operational expenses
- Rockbridge Area Habitat for Humanity, Inc.: Almost Home financial education short course
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association: Funds to help provide heating fuel for less fortunate seniors
- Rockbridge Area Transportation System, Inc.: Funds to go towards the purchase of a new vehicle
- Rockbridge County SPCA: Scholarships to benefit needy children to attend Animal Adventure Camp
- Roots & Shoots Intergenerational Garden: Funds to partially subsidize the irrigation system for the new garden
- Rockbridge Area YMCA: Summer camp program transportation for campers
- Rockbridge Regional Library, Youth Literacy: Funds to help replenish the Gift Book collection and to purchase magazine subscriptions
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2014-15 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2015-16 will be: by the end of the work day (4:30 p.m.) on Friday, April 15, 2016. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.