Washington and Lee School of Law Celebrates 40 years of Women Graduates
Washington and Lee University School of Law, in conjunction with the Women Law Students Organization, is proud to announce the 1st Annual Lara D. Gass Women in the Law Symposium.
This year’s event is named for the late Lara Gass, ’14L, who spearheaded a Women Law Students Organization panel on women in the law before passing away in a tragic car accident during her third year at Washington and Lee Law School. The inaugural symposium will also celebrate 40 years of women graduates at W&L Law.
The event will have multiple panels followed by a combined panel and open forum discussion. Speakers include judges and practitioners. They will address current ways to bridge gender barriers in the legal profession and will share historical and moving anecdotes from the 40 years of women at Washington and Lee School of Law.
One symposium panelist, Judge Rebecca Connelly, ’88L, says it will be “inspiring to hear from so many women about ways they meet the challenge to have it all.”
The Women in the Law Symposium will occur on March 27, 2015 in the Millhiser Moot Court Room, Sydney Lewis Hall on the campus of Washington and Lee. The event is open to the public free of charge.
Check-in will begin at 2:00 p.m. Panel presentations will begin at 2:30 p.m. and conclude at 5:00 p.m. All are welcome to the networking reception following. Those interested in attending should RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The symposium will explore the advancement of women in the profession through two panels moderated by W&L Professor Sally K. Wiant, ’78L:
Panel I: The Advancement of Women in the Law
- Judge Harriet D. Dorsey, ’76L, Retired from Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court 27th Judicial District of Virginia
- Judge Mary M. Johnston, ’84L, Superior Court of Delaware
- Monika L. Jaensson, ’93L, Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- Jennifer G. Dean, ’12L, Virginia Immigration Law Center
Panel II: Bridging Gender Barriers in the Legal Profession
- Chief Judge Rebecca B. Connelly, ’88L, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Judge Jacqueline F. Ward Talevi, ’83L, Roanoke General District Court 23rd Judicial District of Virginia
- Kelly Faglioni, ’92L, Hunton & Williams LLP
- Laura E. Frazier, ’08L, Law Office of Laura E. Frazier
- Elizabeth Gunn, Sands Anderson PC
- Marie Washington, ’03L, Law Office of Marie Washington
If you know any W&L alumni who would be great profile subjects, tell us about them! Nominate them for a web profile.