W&L Announces November 2017 Community Grants Community Grants Committee has made 19 grants totaling $30,760 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County.
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee has made 19 grants totaling $30,760 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2017-18.
The committee chose the grants from 29 proposals requesting over $160,000.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- American Red Cross of the Roanoke and New River Valleys Virginia – Provide immediate disaster relief to eight families following home fires
- The Community Closet at Christ Episcopal Church – Acquisition of essential clothing and supplies to support the mission
- Community Foundation for Rockbridge, Bath, and Alleghany – New laptop for the foundation office
- The Community Table of Buena Vista, Inc. – Assist TCT to purchase essential food items
- Rockbridge Area Habitat for Humanity – Funds to purchase a fireproof file cabinet to facilitate improved office management.
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center – Funds to purchase winter hay for the horses
- Lexington Police Foundation – Funds to purchase a patrol bike
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc. – Food purchase and operational expenses
- PMHS Girls Basketball Program – Help fund equipment and gear needs
- PMHS Lady Blues Soccer – Funding for team uniforms and gear
- Rockbridge Area Health Center – Dental equipment for the center’s new satellite dental clinic – Mountain View Family Dentistry
- Rockbridge Area Relief Association – Funds to provide health and hygiene products to food pantry clients
- The Rockbridge Ballet – To assist with the purchase of portable marley vinyl dance flooring
- Rockbridge SPCA – Funding for the Alter Rockbridge program
- RCHS Girls Soccer Booster Club – Funding for team uniforms and gear
- RCHS Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems Program – To assist with the purchase of one quadcopter drone
- Rockbridge Regional Library Youth Literacy – Funds to go towards the Youth Literacy program
- St. John’s United Methodist Church – Community Blanket Give-away program
- Rockbridge Area YMCA – Support the growth of Buena Vista’s YMCA after-school enrichment program
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2016-17 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually, at the end of the calendar year and at the end of the fiscal year. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2017-18 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 2, 2018. Please make note of the new March deadline. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.