W&L Commemorates Veterans Day
Burnishing a recent tradition, Washington and Lee University held its annual Veterans Day gathering of staff, faculty, retirees and students in front of Lee Chapel.
Co-organizers Mark Fontenot and Paul Burns presided over the ceremony and offered a prayer and a poem. Provost Daniel Wubah said a few words, and Jim Farrar ’74, senior assistant to the president, conveyed a message of gratitude from President Ken Ruscio ’76, who was unable to attend.
The ceremony also remembered three vets who were regular participants, all of whom have passed away since the last Veterans Day: Captain Robert Peniston, the retired director of Lee Chapel; Tony Stinnett, retired from Public Safety; and Larry Stuart, senior sergeant in Public Safety.
- Paul Burns, Safety Office
- Jerry Clark, Facilities Management
- Bill Claytor, Retiree
- Robert Etin, Law Class of 2016
- Mark Fontenot, Facilities Management
- Gavin Fox, Business Administration
- Don Gaylord, Archeology/Anthropology
- Lloyd Goad, Information Technology Services
- Ted Hickman, Facilities Management
- Rick Kirgis, Retiree
- Dick Kuettner, Tucker Multimedia Center
- Laurie Lipscomb, Retiree
- Tom Tinsley, Information Technology Services
- Michael Young, Retiree
- Paul Youngman ’87, German