W&L Honors Eight Retiring Staff Members at Employee Recognition Banquet The university also honored 14 individuals who have been employed for 30 years or more.
Washington and Lee University recognized the eight retiring staff members of 2023 during its 33rd annual Employee Recognition Banquet on Friday, April 21 at 11:30 a.m. on Cannan Green. Collectively, the retirees represent a combined total of 225 years of service to W&L.
The Employee Recognition Banquet, which is open to all W&L employees, also included recognition of current employees celebrating milestones. Among them were 14 employees who have been with the university for 30 years or more, including dining services member Nadine Staton, who has been with W&L for 50 years!
The recent 2023 retirees include:
• Scotty Ashworth (2009-2022), administrative assistant II (admissions)
• Ellen Austin (1997-2022), administrative assistant II (admissions)
• Rob Fure (1977-2023), director of lifelong learning programs
• Russell Joynes (1990-2023), lead painter (facilities)
• Mike Mayo (2006-2022), grounds worker (athletics)
• Lucy Raney (2004-2022), campus utility supervisor (facilities)
• Wanda Scott (1979-2023), administrative assistant II (athletics)
• Louise Uffelman (1993-2023), university editor