Washington and Lee Announces November Community Grants W&L's Community Grants Committee evaluated eight proposals in October and made six grants totaling $23,000 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County.
Washington and Lee University’s Community Grants Committee evaluated eight proposals in October and made six grants totaling $23,000 to non-profit organizations in Lexington and Rockbridge County. They are the first part of its two rounds of grants for 2020-21.
W&L awarded grants to the following organizations:
- Buena Vista City Public Schools – Funding to support the Back to School Backpack and Supply Program,
- Friends of Rockbridge Swimming, Inc. – Funding for a three-leaf revolving door at the aquatics center to provide handicap accessibility,
- George C. Marshall Foundation – Financial assistance to support the costs of delivering the Marshall Legacy Lecture Series remotely,
- Main Street Lexington – Signs and Awnings Grant Program for downtown businesses,
- Mission Next Door – Funding to support over 20 home repair projects during the 2020/21 fiscal year,
- Natural Bridge/Glasgow Food Pantry, Inc. -Purchase of food and supplies for needy area residents.
Established in 2008, W&L’s Community Grants Committee evaluates requests for financial donations and support from Lexington and Rockbridge County. While the University has long provided financial and other assistance to worthwhile projects and organizations in the community on a case-by-case basis, the Community Grants Program formalizes W&L’s role in supporting regional organizations and activities through accessible grant-making.
During its 2019-20 cycle, the Community Grants Committee awarded over $50,000. Proposals may be submitted at any time, but they are reviewed only semiannually: mid-fall and early spring. The submission deadline for the second round of evaluations for 2020-21 will be: by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 19, 2021. Interested parties may download the proposal guidelines at http://go.wlu.edu/communitygrants.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (Word or PDF) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please call (540) 458-8417 with questions. If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to (540) 458-8745 or mailed to Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee, Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr., Office of the Secretary, 204 W. Washington St., Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA 24450-2116.